Sumitomo's Business Philosophy
Ever since the founding of Sumitomo Warehouse in 1899, we have carried out business according to the principles of Sumitomo's Business Philosophy. These principles call for integrity, sound management, and not pursuing immoral business. These words warn us not to chase immediate speculative profit to the detriment of society, or else we will lose all trust held in us. They also reflect our management philosophy of contributing to society through our business. Sumitomo's Business Philosophy forms the foundation of our business operations. It has been passed down unwaveringly through the generations since long before Japan and other countries around the world had begun to recognize the importance of a company's philosophy towards responsibility and contribution to society. We will continue to work based on the principles outlined in this philosophy.
The Sumitomo business philosophy can be stated as, “Benefit self and others, private and public interests are one and the same.” In keeping with these core values, the Sumitomo Warehouse Group will strive to make contributions to our customers and society while also seeking steady growth by providing excellent service under all conditions, centered around the logistics business. Our Corporate Philosophy encapsulates this enduring mission, which we will fulfill no matter what economic and social changes we meet.
“We will provide earnest and timeless support for logistics functions as the social infrastructure, which is needed by all, while also working to create new services sought after by our customers and society.”
Sumitomo Warehouse Group Business Conduct Guidelines
The Sumitomo Warehouse Group was founded based on Sumitomo's Business Philosophy. We contribute to society extensively through high-quality logistics, marine transportation, real estate, and systems development services based on strong performance and credibility that we have developed over the many years that we have been doing business.
In order to further public trust in the Sumitomo Warehouse Group, and for all Group companies to fulfill their corporate social responsibility obligations, we have established the following guidelines for conduct that every Group employee must follow.
- 1. Compliance with Laws and Regulations
- We will comply with all applicable laws, domestic or foreign, as well as internal company rules, and also carry out business activities based on social expectations and corporate ethics.
- 2. Respect for Human Rights and the Dignity of the Individual
- We will respect the human rights and personal dignity of all people whom the Sumitomo Warehouse Group has contact with, directly or indirectly, while doing business. We will not discriminate based on race, national origin, beliefs, sex, gender, age, religion, social status, or physical or mental disability.
- 3. Maintain Sound Relationships with Customers and Suppliers
- We will maintain business relationships with customers and suppliers based on fair, transparent, and free competition. We will also strive to maintain sound and proper relationships with political and government organizations.
- 4. Communication with Society
- In order to communicate well with shareholders, investors, business partners, the local community, and other stakeholders, we will disclose necessary information actively and fairly.
- 5. Environmental Protection
- We will voluntarily and actively work to protect the global environment.
- 6. Contribution to the Local Community
- With the awareness that our business activities are based in local economies and cultures, we will maintain good relations with local communities and contribute to their development.
- 7. A Good Working Environment
- We will strive to develop a way of working that draws out the strengths of all employees while respecting their dignity and individuality. Furthermore, we will strive to create a working environment that is safe, healthy, and easy to work in.
- 8. Information Management
- Confidential information and personal information that we acquire through our business activities will be properly managed to prevent unintentional, or unauthorized, disclosure to any third party. Such information will never be used without authorization for personal gain, or in the interests of any third party.
- 9. Confronting Antisocial Forces
- We will take a firm stance against antisocial forces who threaten order or the safety of civil society.
- 10. International Business Conduct
- As a good corporate citizen, we will abide by the laws of foreign countries, respect their cultures and customs, and build and maintain strong relationships with local employees and business partners when doing business overseas.
Long-term vision "Moving Forward to 2030"
Based on our corporate philosophy, we have defined four missions to accomplish over the next 10 years until 2030 to properly address the various risks that are multiplying with the progression of globalization and steadily provide the logistics services that are essential for society to our diverse stakeholders.
- a. Connecting things
- We will provide even more reliable logistics services around warehouses and ports, which are nodes of distribution. At the same time, we will coordinate more closely with industries outside of logistics, actively introducing and utilizing digital and other technologies to create new value in logistics while swiftly addressing various changes.
- b. Connecting the world
- We will support our customers in building solid, stable global supply chains, working to further expand our international logistics network, primarily in the four regions of Japan, Asia, Europe, and the United States.
- c. Connecting people
- While further enhancing development of our invaluable human resources, we will address social changes, including the declining birth rate and aging population, adopt flexible and diverse work styles, and continue to be a company that attracts people to it.
- d. Connecting times
- As a corporate group with more than 120 years of tradition, we will pass on the tangible and intangible assets we have inherited from our predecessors to the next generation and contribute to the development of our customers and society.